Speech Development Case Study

Title: How Setting Up The Right Environment Matters.
By: Fariza Zabir-Ilhan

I have just started operating my centre, called Alami Montessori in the middle of 2017. As with many other budding centres, the response was slow. Once we completed the renovation process, procured the necessaries, designed the space ,we started the first month of operation with my own children and two new students. We were good to go with small numbers, I say, even with no other teacher other than myself.

Earlier in the year, I put up a room at our house for some informal Montessori lessons. The students were obviously, my two children Yusuf, 5 and Faruk, 3. Faruk wasn’t really interested in the room setup at that time. He was just coming in and out without much care about what’s going on in the room. And then there was my niece, Zulaikha, 4, who was my testimonial of a Montessori child; bright, confident, tactful and helpful.  I remember how she used to imagine what her school would be like when she would enroll in one. “There will be dolphins at my school!” Such is the amazing mind of a child.

My homemade materials weren’t precise, I made use of whatever I can find, but we certainly enjoyed the school sessions. There were no timetables and so no pressure to learn ABCs!  Nobody was keen on doing the sandpaper letters or learning numbers. We filled each session with arts, singing, making play-dough, story telling and more arts. In short, in all its flexibility in this carefree system, Montessori at home wasn’t really successful as there was just too many distractions e.g TV and plastic figurines of all kinds.

I mentioned that Faruk wasn’t acknowledging what was going on in the homeschool room that we had. Truth was, at the time, at 3 years, he wasn’t making much progress with his speech. There were fluctuating phases in his language development. He would be talking for a month, and for the next two months he would be unresponsive even to his own name. His grandparents have pointed repeatedly to have him sent to the speech therapist. I was not going to give up on him. I’ve done extra research on how to heal the child naturally. I’ve bought highly priced essential oils, said to help with the neurological functioning if you rub it twice a day on the back of the child’s neck. I’ve also invested in a medium sized trampoline, claimed to help with speech development. I’ve cut down his screen time, resulting in more outdoor nature based play. I’ve allocated more time reading, singing and enunciating my words to my child, sometimes unsure whether or not he understood me at all.

Undoubtedly I went back to all my readings on Montessori method. Dr. Maria Montessori promotes the notion of following the child. Now what this means is that, a deeper observation of the life unfolding is needed or to put simply, have patience. Let him tell you when he is ready. After all, I’ve checked all the other aspects of child development or milestones for 3 to 4 years and he scored well above. So why worry too much?

Fast forward a few months, I was busy setting my school up, finding potential parents and networking, marketing my business, planning the lessons, observing students, I have not been putting too much effort for my child I thought. I was busy preparing the environment for all of the children under my care.

To the whole family’s excitement, after one month of attending our Montessori school, Faruk picked up all the circle time songs, chants and all of the nursery rhymes taught. He is responsive, active and ever more inquisitive.
“He has exploded!” My husband would say.

Dr. Maria Montessori has certainly pointed this out, that during the first phase of life,  during 0-3 years, "the child has a mind able to absorb knowledge.  He has the power to teach himself." [1] She continues in the same line, "It begins with a knowledge of his surroundings. How does the child assimilate his environment? He does it solely in virtue of one of those characteristics that we now know him to have. This is an intense and specialized sensitiveness in consequence of which the things about him awaken so much interest and so much enthusiasm that they become incorporated in his very existence . The child absorbs these impressions not with his mind but with his life itself." [2]

By giving him time and opportunities, he was able to fit the missing pieces of the puzzle according to his biological and developmental time frame. In an environment that enables one to explore, one blooms without a constant external push, but there exist an in-built internal prowess. He proved to be a creative learner. Here is a snap shot of him singing and acting to the tune of Humpty Dumpty.


After three months in a Montessori environment, he now recognizes most of the alphabets phonetically, able to express distress , comfort somebody who is in distress, loves to read, draw and create arts.







[1] Maria Montessori, The Absorbent Mind, pg 5
[2] Maria Montessori, The Absorbent Mind, pg 22

Comments

Popular Posts